Tuesday 12 February 2013

Data Piston-lid watch

Today's watch definitely has a touch of steampunk about it - although without the grimy feel that style often has.

The watch is by Data, whom I can find nothing about. Their logo is shown on the face (at the 12 o'clock position), and on the back, and is an X with a crosshair aimed at the centre.

The watch part is a 3-hand dial, with a crown to the bottom right. The module is a standard Japanese movement.

The interesting part of this watch is the flip-top lid. Normally, you can only see a slice of the dial through a diagonal gap in the lid. When you pull out the latch on the bottom left, the lid springs open and reveals the whole dial. The lid doesn't actually open the whole way, but there are two piston design pieces which connects the watch case to the lid. They are only cosmetic, but make it look like the lid is operated by a piston.
I've had the watch for a while, so it's likely to be from the 2000s (possibly earlier), and the design reminds me of Time Design or Storm watches.

10 comments:

  1. Hi, I have two watches in that style, one is exactly the same as the one pictured, except it is by Sutus, and the other by the same maker, but with a full face covering, but also piston operated, both bought at a clock makers in Belgium in approx 1999. They have never been worn, although by now the batteries have given up. I was going to send you a pic but couldn't see anywhere here to enable me to do it.
    Regards
    Elwyn
    North Wales,UK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please how does one get that time piece

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Folks, I just happened to come across my piston cover watch from years ago from some high-end local tech gift shop, and if anyone is interested, I'm open to a fair offer. My name is Geren Piltz, I live in Santa Barbara, CA. You can find me on facebook or post here so we can talk offline. Would like to hear from you. Cheers, and thanks for such an informative post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This may be an old sight and no one will see this but I just found one with the full face piston action in my jewelry box from the mid 90's... excellent shape and selling if interested... email me at snobigs@gmail.com if interested.... Asking $175.00

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not looking at the moment, but just wanted to acknowledge your post. All the best for a great holiday season and a fruitful new year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi my name is Elizabeth and I got to watch exactly just like it the only thing different about mines is that it's got a telescope on top of it when it lets open so I think that's pretty cool

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, cool that this watch is still making waves after all this time. I think there are a handful out there still to be discovered. Thanks for sharing your latest find. Happy Holidays and all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How much do these go for?

    ReplyDelete