Wednesday 13 November 2013

Seiko 5 Automatic 4207 movement

It's a special day today, so I decided to go with a smart looking shiny gold watch today.

This is one of my collection of Seiko watches from the Seiko 5 range. This range was released as an affordable line of automatic movement watches (with a couple of quarts versions thrown into the mix) mainly from the 1960s and 70s. The 5 in Seiko 5 stands for the 5 main features - Diaflex unbreakable mainspring, Diashock shock resistance system, automatic movement, day/date, and water resistance.

This model uses a 4207 automatic mechanical movement with 21 jewels. It has both day and date at the 3 o'clock position, with the second language on the day being one that I don't recognise (maybe Thai or Arabic script).

It has a smaller case than the others I've used and looks to have been part of a range for women (which I've seen referred to as Lady 5). The case is a square  shape with the corners removed and rounded, and the face sits in a round looking window (but is actually a dodecagon). The glass is thick and cut with tapered edges so it catches the light. Because of this, and that all metal parts are gold coloured, it makes it a very shiny watch.

Quite a lot of models use the 4207 movement, however I've been unable to find another that looks like this gold squared version. The full model number of this variant is 4207-5090. The strap part number is 30K8-B-E.

1 comment:

  1. I was just wondering what would be the price of this watch now? I have one of these too.

    ReplyDelete