Sunday 26 January 2014

Rado Silky Silver Ladies Mechanical Watch

I'm blogging a ladies watch today as this is sort of in my collection, but it's not one I can normally wear (as it looks very wrong on my wrist).

The watch is a vintage Rado from their Silky range. The strap on this watch is a very tight knit chain link mesh strap with a silky feel to it. I've see  a few different Silky designs, but as all had this fine weave strap, I'd guess that this is where the watch got its name from. The strap is not really adjustable, as you need to cut it to the right length and attach the fastener parts with screws.

It is a small cased mechanical watch, but with just a 2 hand dial. The case is octagonal, but more of a rectangle with the corners cut off, and it has a textured silver face. I don't know exactly when this is from, but I think it's a 70s model.

The back just has the Rado name and logo, the material type (stainless steel), and the serial number, but no model number. These models were popular in Japan, and I've seen different Rado Silky watches being put for sale at over ¥15,000, but a very similar one to this sold on eBay in 2013 for around $40.

1 comment: