Wednesday 15 January 2014

Shinnyo Centennial Commemorate Watch

Today's watch must be one of the most normal looking watches in my collection, but I've kept it because it is a watch commemorating the most unusual event I've got a commemorative watch for.

The watch face states the name Shinnyo, and the back of the watch says that this was issued for "The centennial of the Shinnyo founder's birth, March 28, 2006". This refers to the birth of Shinjō Itō (Fumiaki Itō) in 1906. He was the founder of the Shinnyo-en Buddhist sangha (community) which incorporates teachings from 3 traditional schools of Buddhism. Shinnyo-en as founded in 1936 (recognised in 1948) and currently has over 1 million practitioners, and has training centres across Asia, Europe, and America. So this means that this watch is my only Buddhist community commemorative item!

The watch itself is pretty normal, with a round face in a more squared case. It is a 3 hand dial model with a Japanese quartz movement. The movement is more plastic based that a lot I've seen and has no makers name displayed, but the model number suggests the module is a PC21. The PC21 is a Hattori module, which I recently learned is under the Seiko Corporation and may mean that the watch is made by Seiko, Lorus, or Pulsar. The full model number is PC21-D085.

1 comment:

  1. I have the same watch same numbers and everything my auntie n uncle passed away an I found it in their belongings. Is it worth anything?

    ReplyDelete