Sunday 7 April 2013

Katharine Hamnett KH 8026 produced by Fortune

Sometimes when I buy sets of watches, I end up with interesting watches that don't really fit into my collection. Today, I thought I'd blog one, before I probably sell it on.
The watch is one of the smallest watches I have, and is a small rectangular two hand dial. It is only about 2cm long, and 1cm wide - the same width as the strap (which tapers down to 7mm). Design-wise, it has a couple of (fake?) diamonds at 12 o'clock, and one at 6 o'clock.
It is by the British designer Katharine Hamnett CBE. She was born in the 1940s, and founded her clothing line in 1979. Her most famous designs are for oversized t-shirts with large block letter logos such as 'choose life', and 'peace ', as well as more political statements. Most of her watches go against the current oversized designs, and feature small dainty dials and narrow leather straps.
This watch has a model number of KH 8026-34, and it was originally sold for 24,000 yen. The back of the watch states it was produced by Fortune (the same as for the Takeo Kikuchi watch). The only Fortune reference I've found was for a company based in Hong Kong, but the label here says it was Japan made.
So that's it - the blog post for a watch that'll soon be no longer part of the collection (if someone wants to buy it!). UPDATE: Sold!

6 comments: