Wednesday 17 April 2013

Sanyo Amorton Solar Watch 514-67

The sun isn't really out anymore, but I found that this solar watch I thought was dead had been revived. So to avoid the risk of it dying again before it was blogged, I thought I'd share it today.

The watch is by Sanyo who are a Japanese electronics company and are now part of the Panasonic group (since 2009). The Sanyo logo can be found on the face and engraved into the back.

The watch has an Amorton Solar panel to provide the power. Amorton is Sanyo/Panasonic's range of integrated amorphous silicon solar cells. Sanyo was one of the first companies to focus on this type of solar cell. They used the technology on self branded watches originally, but now the panels are normally made for others.

Internet searches for the model number (514-67) lead to no hits, suggesting that the watches may not have been produced in large numbers. I'm guessing that it is from the 80s, but haven't been able to confirm that. It was made in Japan and has

It is a standard LCD display watch the with a 6 digit display and day marker along the top. Mode-wise, it has multi alarms and a countdown timer. The model number is on the back, along with a two part number split into 3 and 4 digits which I guess is a serial number.

7 comments:

  1. I confirm that I used to wear this watch in 1984

    ReplyDelete
  2. I warn this watch in 1983. Does anybody know what battery was inside (exact model number)? Today I have another piece of Sanyo solar model 512-81 (almost the same with 100 m wr) but the original battery is lost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jollyaard, I have just bought on eBay, this same model and I'm loving it!! It has all the elements that I enjoy about a watch from the 80s!I too have just spent some time trying to turn up information, including a search for the manual and found nothing, apart from what you have posted here, so thank you so much for this! Very happy to be the proud owner of what seems to be, this very obscure timepiece! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ^ Oh and I'm contactable via bugbloke@hotmail.com or at http://youtube.com/c/chrissretrocorner if anyone has any more information about this watch, specs, manual etc! :?) ^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do anybady know already wchat type of recherable battery should be inside thesee watch?
    I have the same problem as person above.

    REegards!

    Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.jrussbeauchamp.com/item.php?id=1632

    ReplyDelete