Tuesday 18 December 2012

Casio Casiotron R-15

As I work my way through blogging my collection, I've learnt more about the type of watches I seem to gravitate towards (as I've never grouped them together in one place before).

One sub-collection that is high on my list is the retro LCD watch collection. And today is another example.

Today's watch is a Casio from the Casiotron range with a model number of R-15. It came out around 1976, so is early in the lifetime of LCD watches.

It uses a 15 module powered by an AG5 battery, and only has time and date display. It uses a 3 1/2 digit display, with the first digit only showing a 1. Along the top of the display are 7 boxes which contain the numbers 0-5 and a star. The 0-5 represent the seconds in groups of 10, and fill up as the minute progresses. The number box appears and is static for the first 5 seconds, and then flashes (once per second) for the second 5 seconds before the next box appears. The box with the star indicates pm.

There is a mode button on the lower right which shows the date when held-in. The date is shown in month:date format, and the boxes along the top show corresponding to the day of the week (which is painted on the face above each of the boxes). The setting button is inset and directly opposite the mode button.

At the bottom of the face is a small code 10A817. I'm not sure what it means, but I saw another R-15 online but in blue with the same number except for the first digit (which looked to be a 2), and a white one with 01 as the first 2 digits.

1 comment: