Sunday 2 June 2013

500th Watch - Tokima Digirobo Blue

Today, my blog hits it's 500th watch (if I include a couple of pocket watches and a clock designed as a watch). For each of the hundreds, I've blogged a robot watch, and so today I'll keep up that tradition.
This watch is one of the original 1980s Tokima Digirobo models which first came out in 1983. They were released by Bandai after having been developed by the Popy Kikakushitsu company, and all of the details can be found on my Tokima Robot Watch Overview page (link).

The one I'm blogging today is perhaps the rarest version of any of the Tokima Digirobo watches. I have only seen this blue one once in the last 10 years, apart from in a 1985 catalogue. Unfortunately, this one had been stored in the sun and faded to green (but the original blue can be seen on the strap and the bottom of the box) - but it may mean I have the only green one out there ;-).

The watch has a basic 3.5 digit LCD module which has a time, date, and seconds display. The box gives much more detailed information, saying it is a "Field Electric Efficiency (FE) type nematic liquid crystal 3 1/2 digit display", and has a 32768Hz tuning fork type quartz movement.

As with all of these models, the watch head is released from the strap with two clips, and then pulling out the robots feet releases the arms too.

No comments:

Post a Comment