Sunday 26 October 2014

Seiko Quartz 3802-7020

I hope that all of my European followers remembered to change their watches last night. Luckily I don't need to keep changing my watches as I have enough to have summer and winter watches.

Today, I chose an early quartz dial design by Seiko. This watch is one of the 38 series of quartz watches that Seiko released in the early 70s. This model uses the 3802 movement and was made in 1972. The caliber 3802 first came out in June 1972 and was one of the first quartz movements by Seiko which were released in large quantities (with most earlier quartz movements  having only a few thousand units manufactured at most). 

This watch has a 3 hand dial design with a date window at the 3 o'clock position, and hour markers with no numbers. The battery is hidden under a large raised part on the back which screws off separately from the back. The original battery was similar to the SR43SW with a raised section on the negative terminal, but the more common AG10 battery can also be used as a replacement.

The 38 (or 38xx) series were well made high quality models, and had a cost similar to, if not higher than, the Seiko mechanical watches of the time.

This particular version is the 3802-7020 and it came in several colours (including my two tone model and a plain silver design).

No comments:

Post a Comment